Here's A Thought...

HERE'S A THOUGHT...
Here are some "THOUGHTS" that will hopefully answer some of the questions that you may have about what the Bible has to say about our everyday lives. These articles are here to provoke thought; provide answers, guidance and resources; all in an effort to bring you into a closer relationship with your Heavenly Father!

GOD BLESS and KEEP SMILIN'!

Monday, April 4, 2011

IsTheBibleFictionOrNonFiction

You know, I have to tell you. I have taken much pride in including scripture references in all of the writings that I have made for my blog or in any of my teaching. But for the first time, and only GOD knows if it will be the only time, I am going to write without the use of a single scripture reference. I just don’t believe there is any reference to any scripture or religious writing that can help you with this topic. So let’s begin.

Every new Christian or any person who has not yet given their life to Jesus Christ but has begun attending church, or exploring their personal religious or spiritual beliefs; comes to a place where they begin to question the validity of the Bible. And if you are one of those who have found yourself in this place, do not think yourself a horrible person, know that everyone of us have or will ask the question, “Is the Bible true?”

Now to those that have or are currently asking that very question; there are a multitude of references that I can give you that point to the validity of the Bible. If you are interested, please e-mail me and I would be happy to send those references to you. However, after having many conversations with a great deal of people, I have come to realize that it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter what I say, it doesn’t matter what references I give, it doesn’t matter what I can prove. Eventually, every person has to face and make that decision of: Do I, or don’t I believe the Bible is true?

If you are struggling with that question, let me make it a little harder for you. To make your decision more complex, let me tell you something that makes your decision a little more difficult. The real question you need to answer is; is the Bible fiction, or non-fiction. Is the Bible fiction, which means false and made up; or is the Bible non-fiction, which means that every book, every chapter, and every word is the written word of GOD? Written word of GOD, written down by the hand of man as inspired by the Holy Spirit as directed by GOD.

Now, fiction books can be based on actual events, set in places that actually exist, but the stories are made up; just quite simply not true. And I have to tell you, there are a lot of people that place the Bible in that category. Or there are those that have chosen to accept some parts of the Bible as being true and other parts as being made up. What you have done, intentionally or not, is just place the Bible in the category of fiction.

Let me give you just a quick example of how dangerous it is to just believe in just parts of the Bible. Muslims believe they are the descendants of, and followers of Abraham. Muslims believe in Jesus as a great profit, just not the son of GOD. They believe in Mary and the virgin birth; in fact there is more written in the Koran about Mary than in the Christian Bible. The very second you start picking and choosing what you do and don’t want to believe about the Bible, you have just placed the Bible in the category of fiction and started down a very dangerous road of lies and deception. (Which I might add, is exactly where the devil wants to lead you.)

This is a foundational, fundamental challenge that all Christians, me included, have had to address, face and overcome. GOD exists, and the Bible is true! The air I breathe I cannot see, but every breath is a testimony to its existence. The universe around us is a testimony to the existence and power of GOD and to those who have chosen to crack the pages of the Bible and allowed it to change them is a testimony to its validity.

There is a Bible verse that continues to ring in my mind when I find those who don’t believe the Bible or choose to only believe parts of the Bible. [Here comes the scripture reference. I knew I couldn’t do it, so I lied. Write my pastor!] “For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away for listening to the truth and wander off into myths.” 2 Timothy 4:3-4

The Holy Bible is the truth. It is the written word of our Heavenly Father. Your decision to accept or reject it does not change its truth. Here is another fact that I have found to be very true. Most of those that I have talked to that most strongly challenges the validity of the bible…has never read it!

So to those who want to challenge the validity of the Bible, I issue a challenge of my own. Before you come to me and want to question whether or not the Bible is true…read it. Not just a couple chapters or a few pages. Read the New Testament, read the Old Testament. Read it from front to back or just pick a book and go. There are a million references out there on “how to read the Bible in a year”. [I have to say that I get a giggle from the people that will read a 600 page “Harry Potter” book in a week, but need a year to read the Bible.]

In addition, to those who have read and/or studied the Holy Bible and still question; or for heaven’s sake preach that parts of the Bible are “only stories”. I must remind you that the written word of God, our Bible is there for 2 primary reasons. One: to provide a resource for you to grow in your knowledge, understanding and ultimately your relationship with your Heavenly Father. Secondly: to serve as a reference for you to share and teach others. If you are one who believes they have been saved by Jesus Christ and have been accepted into the Body of Christ and your eternal salvation is secured, but you question any part of the Bible. I strongly encourage you to re-evaluate your relationship and therefore your understanding of, and with your Heavenly Father.

May the GOD of the universe and the Lord of Lords, our Heavenly Father bless you and bring you to a place of relationship and better understanding of who He is and a better understanding of His written WORD!

No comments: